A brief history lesson
Eupen was first mentioned in writing in 1014 in the Annales Rodenses, when it belonged to the Duchy of Limburg. Eupen was a trading place for cloth, nails, and other commodities. Until the dissolution of the Duchy of Limburg, Eupen belonged to the Limburg high bank of Baelen. Just like the rest of the duchy, Eupen was incorporated into the then formed department of Ourthe when the Southern Netherlands was annexed by the French Republic in 1795. In 1815, Eupen was added to the Kingdom of Prussia during the Vienna Congress. After the First World War, Eupen came to Belgium in 1919 to be annexed to Germany again at the start of the Second World War. In September 1944 the area was liberated by the US army and Eupen became Belgian again. The German-speaking Community was established in 1970, increasing the autonomy of the area.